Tag Archives: fire

Important

Old battery blamed for fire alarm

NAUGATUCK – A fire scare at the Verizon Wireless store on New Haven Road quickly fizzled Monday afternoon. Something in a battery from the old security system left over from…

Naugatuck firefighters say they need new tools

NAUGATUCK — The Fire Department is scraping together surplus money to buy at least one new set of hydraulic extrication tools, commonly knows as “the jaws of life,” after antiquated…

Dog rescued, woman escapes from Naugatuck condo fire

NAUGATUCK — Firefighters rescued a dog from a fire earlier today in a Mallane Lane condo. A guest at the condo, who noticed the fire, escaped with minor injuries. The…

New deputy fire chief a first for borough force

NAUGATUCK — When Ellen Murray graduated from Southern Connecticut State University in 1981 with a degree in physical education, she never thought she would become a career firefighter. A year…

Fire forces Naugatuck family from home

NAUGATUCK — A fire broke out on the porch of a vacant multifamily home Friday evening, spreading to a neighboring home and forcing the evacuation of the family of five…

Important

Blow torch causes minor fire at Chemtura building

NAUGATUCK – Smoke poured out of an Elm Street building under renovation Tuesday when contractors using a blow torch to remove caulking around a window caught the wood behind the…

Important

Fire company garners grant

BEACON FALLS – When voters go to the polls March 1, they’ll have one less item to consider. Thanks to a grant from the Assistance to Firefighter Grants (AFG), Beacon…

Borough salon, open 1 year, charred by fire

NAUGATUCK — On March 11, Sherri Cole celebrated the one-year anniversary of her salon’s opening. “This is all from scratch,” she said, pointing out amenities through the windowfront of her…

One dead in Prospect structure fire

PROSPECT — State police and the Prospect Volunteer Fire Department reported one death in a Wednesday-morning structure fire at a 62 Summit Road home.

The victim’s identity has not yet been released, and the cause of the blaze is still pending investigation from the Connecticut State Police and Fire Marshal.

Prospect Mayor and Assistant Fire Chief Bob Chatfield said the call came in at 7:11, and firefighters were on the scene at 7:12.

When they arrived, he said, smoke was seeping from windows, doors, and through shingles on the roof; it wasn’t until a window gave and the flame was thus oxygenated that it really erupted.

About fifty Prospect firefighters battled the inferno, many of them new members for whom this was their first major call. All told, Fire Chief Marty Lautenschlager said, it took them about 45 minutes to extinguish the fire, and no one was injured.

Still no arrest in bakery blazes

BEACON FALLS — An early, Friday-morning fire at a local bakery is under investigation, after another bakery in Monroe owned by the same person also caught fire about 20 minutes…