NAUGATUCK — Naugatuck High senior Bryan Coney signed his letter of intent last week to play football at the University of Connecticut.
Coney, a wide receiver and defensive back, owns schools records of 81 catches, 2,171 yards and 33 career touchdowns and helped Naugatuck to a 19-5 record over the last two seasons.
Coney signed the letter on Feb. 4, National Signing Day, flanked by his parents, Bryan Sr. and Jackie, and surrounded by teammates and friends in Athletic Director Tom Pompei’s office.
“Bryan has set a fine example during his four years here at Naugatuck High School,” Pompei said. “He is an outstanding young man and I believe is the only athlete at this school to have gone on to play football at UConn. The coaches at UConn have shown genuine interest in Bryan and have been here four times this year as they knew there were other programs interested in him.”
Coney will go to UConn as a preferred walk-on, which means he has made the team but will not receive a scholarship this year.
“Certainly an emotional day for me and my family,” Coney said. “This is like the final moment of my high school career and it proves that all that hard work has paid off. This is a real exciting opportunity for me to represent my school and my town at a Division I program.”