Work on Scott Road to start up again

0
39


PROSPECT — Long-anticipated repairs to Scott Road are set to start next month.

Mayor Robert Chatfield said phase two of the reconstruction of Scott Road is scheduled to begin May 1.

The work is part of a three-phase reconstruction. Phase one was completed in 2007 and extended from the Waterbury line to Nicholas Court. Phase two of the Scott Road reconstruction will begin at Nicholas Court and go to Maria Hotchkiss Road, a distance of approximately 0.7 miles.

The project will include milling and repaving, installing storm water catch basins, putting in a curb and widening the road, Chatfield said.

Chatfield added the work includes re-grading the “hills and dales” along the road to provide better sight lines when turning onto Scott Road.

“The most dangerous place to pull out of is Maria Hotchkiss Road. If you look to the left there are several hills and dales and, if a car is grey or black, you can’t see it coming down the road,” Chatfield said.

The work will be done by Waterford-based B&W Paving and Landscaping, LLC.

Chatfield said B&W came in with a low bid of $1.91 million to complete all of the work.
The next lowest bidder was Dayton Construction Company Inc., which bid $1.98 million, Chatfield said.

The federal government will cover 80 percent of the cost, while the state will pick the remaining 20 percent. The town just had to pay for the engineering designs, which it completed approximately 3 years ago in anticipation of the work.

Chatfield said work on the road will be done on weekdays from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Only one lane of the road will be opened while work is going on. The work is anticipated to continue deep into this year.

Chatfield urged drivers to use an alternate route.

“If you are a commuter and you are reading this article, from May 1 until the asphalt plants close in the beginning of December, I’d strongly advise you to find another route,” Chatfield said.

The third phase of the reconstruction project will go from Maria Hotchkiss Road to Route 69. The project has been in the works since 1977, Chatfield said.

“We’re very appreciative of this,” Chatfield said.