PROSPECT — A small fire Tuesday morning at Oliver’s Supermarket at 75 Waterbury Road damaged vegetables in a cooler.
Workers smelled smoke in the store when they arrived at work around 6 a.m., and when someone opened a cooler they saw a fluorescent light bulb melting a carton of food, said Mayor Robert Chatfield, who is also the department’s day commander.
“It was smoldering, it never really blossomed,” Chatfield said.
Seventeen firefighters and two engines responded around 6:15 a.m. to contain the fire before it spread and to ventilate smoke. Health officials required staff to throw out vegetables such as lettuce, broccoli and boxes of coleslaw.
Chatfield said the store opened on time Tuesday.