Teen charged with NHS bomb threat

0
41

NAUGATUCK — Police have charged a borough teenager with making a bomb threat at Naugatuck High School in January.

The 17-year-old, whose name was not released due to his age, was arrested Monday.

A bomb threat was called in to the high school on the morning of Jan. 29. The school was placed in a Code Yellow lockdown, which means all students stayed in place within the building and no one was allowed to leave or enter the school. Connecticut State Police were called in and conducted a sweep of the high school with police dogs. No explosive devices were found.

Naugatuck police spokesman Lt. Bryan Cammarata said police could not release many details on the suspect, including whether he is a student at the high school, since he is a juvenile.

The teenager was charged with first-degree criminal liability false reporting incident, first-degree criminal liability threatening and criminal liability misuse of 911 system.

The arrest was the culmination of a lengthy investigation that included developing leads through undercover work online and on social media websites. During the investigation, Cammarata said, Naugatuck detectives came upon information that another juvenile in Ohio had been responsible for similar incidents throughout the United States and Canada. Naugatuck police relayed this information to other law enforcement agencies and the juvenile was arrested in Ohio, Cammarata said.