Suspects beat up man at Sullivan’s Bar


NAUGATUCK — A weekend assault at Sullivan’s Bar landed one man in jail and has police searching for the remaining suspects.

The assault occurred shortly before midnight Saturday, Aug. 20 at the bar on Church Street.

Naugatuck police spokesman Lt. Robert Harrison said the victim was sitting in the outside patio in the back of bar when he was approached by three or four white males wearing bandanas over their faces. One of the suspects pointed a handgun at the victim, Harrison said, and told him not to move. A suspect, later identified as 28-year-old William Gaynor of 16 Olive St., Naugatuck, began beating the victim with a baseball bat, Harrison said.

The victim suffered a cut to his head and bruises on his upper torso, Harrison said, but refused medical treatment.

The suspects fled before police arrived on the scene. Harrision said bar patrons were able to identify Gaynor for police because the bandana he was wearing fell off during the assault.

Harrision said police knew Gaynor’s address and went to his home. When officers arrived, he said, Gaynor wasn’t home. However, Gaynor was found and arrested a short time later walking on Gorman Street, Harrison said.

Gaynor was charged with assault in the second degree, reckless endangerment in the first degree, and breach of peace. He was held on a $100,000 surety bond and appeared in Waterbury Superior Court this morning.

As of this post, Harrison said police do not have a motive for the assault. He said obviously there is some sort of conflict between the victim and his assailants, but no one has been willing to talk to police about it.

As of this post, police are still searching for the remaining two or three suspects. Harrison said police received conflicting reports on whether it was three or four men who assaulted the victim.

No further description of the suspects was available. Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact the Naugatuck Police Department at (203) 729-5221.