Small kitchen fire at NHS quickly doused

0
38

NAUGATUCK — Naugatuck High School was evacuated this morning due to a small fire in the cafeteria’s kitchen.

Naugatuck Fire Marshal Robert Weaver said the fire department responded to an alarm at the high school at about 9:30 a.m. after food caught fire in an oven in the school’s cafeteria.

The small fire was extinguished by a school employee with a fire extinguisher before firefighters arrived on scene, Weaver said. He said cafeteria workers also discharged the fire suppression system above the oven.

Weaver said the department called off the large firetrucks when it was determined there was no further damage, but members of the department remained on the scene to clear the smoke and reset the alarms. The fire suppression system also had to be recharged, he said.

Naugatuck Public Schools posted on its Facebook page that the alarms functioned as they should and everyone exited the building safely. Classes have resumed as normal, the post states.