Questions linger as police investigate untimely death

Police are investigating the death of Krzysztof Wojcik, 58, who was found Sunday in his apartment on Golden Court. Krzysztof Wojcik’s wife Danuta was found unconscious in the apartment and is being treated for undisclosed injuries at St. Mary’s Hospital. RA ARCHIVE

NAUGATUCK — A day after police discovered the body Krzysztof Wojcik and his unconscious wife, Danuta, in the couple’s home on Golden Court a slew of questions remain unanswered.

Police responded to 24 Golden Court, a multi-family house, at about 12:20 p.m. Sunday, after a friend of the couple reported that the Wojciks had not been heard from for a week. According to police, responding officers had to force their way into the apartment, and found Krzysztof Wojcik, 58, dead in the bedroom with no visible injury.

Danuta Wojcik, 61, was found unconscious and taken to St. Mary’s Hospital. She was listed in critical condition Sunday night.

On Monday afternoon, Naugatuck police spokesman Lt. Robert Harrison said Danuta Wojcik’s condition improved slightly, but that she was unable to speak.

Harrison said talking with her will be a key component of the investigation, but that he didn’t know when she would be able to speak with police.

Police are hopeful that the autopsy of Krzysztof Wojcik’s body will provide some answers. The autopsy was originally scheduled for today, but was pushed back until tomorrow due to an influx of bodies into the state’s Chief Medical Examiner’s Office, Harrison said.

Exactly what the autopsy will tell may not be known for several weeks.

Harrison explained there are two parts of an autopsy, the physical examination, which examines signs of trauma on the body. He said the results of the physical examination would be known quickly because a detective will be on hand during the autopsy.

Harrison declined to disclose whether there were any signs of physical trauma on Krzysztof Wojcik’s body at the scene.

The second part of the autopsy is laboratory work such as a blood analysis.

The results of the laboratory work can take a couple of weeks to a month to be completed, Harrison said.

Police believe the Wojciks, who have no known relatives in the U.S., were the only ones living in the house at the time.

As police continue to search for the answers to this case, Harrison said one thing’s for sure, the incident was isolated and the public is safe.

“It’s an isolated incident. The public has nothing to fear,” Harrison said. “We’re very confident with that.”

As of this post the incident remained under investigation, and no further details were available.