Prospect firefighters douse blaze in truck bed

0
20


PROSPECT — Firefighters responded to a call at Tice Lawn Maintenance Thursday morning for a fire that turned out not to be as bad as originally feared.

Mayor Robert Chatfield, who is also the department’s day commander, said the fire department responded to a call for a structure fire at 10:18 a.m. at Tice Lawn Maintenance, 101 Cheshire Road. 

“On arrival it looked really bad. There was smoke and flames coming out of the garage,” Chatfield said.

However, Chatfield said, firefighters discovered the fire was contained to the bed of a small dump truck.

Dick Tice, owner of Tice Lawn Maintenance and former fire chief of the Cheshire Fire Department, and his son were already pulling the truck out of the garage when firefighters arrived, Chatfield said. Firefighters extinguished the fire and the entire call took approximately 30 minutes, he said.

Chatfield said the cause of the fire was determined to be a spark from work being done on the truck that had flown into the bed and caught items in the back of the truck on fire. Old truck seats and auto parts were in the bed of the truck, he said.

Chatfield said the fire didn’t extend to the garage, which has metal ceilings, and firefighters vented the smoke by opening the garage’s doors.  

“Everything went well and no one was hurt,” Chatfield said.