Old battery blamed for fire alarm

0
30

Naugatuck firefighters exit the Verizon Wireless store on New Haven Road after clearing the building Monday evening.

NAUGATUCK – A fire scare at the Verizon Wireless store on New Haven Road quickly fizzled Monday afternoon.

Something in a battery from the old security system left over from when the store was a Naugatuck Valley Savings and Loan bank exploded and started smoking around 5 p.m., according to Lieutenant Michael Chatfield of the Naugatuck Fire Department.

Two employees at the store exited the building and called 911, he said.

By the time firefighters and police arrived on the scene, there was no smoke or fire, Chatfield said.

The firefighters removed the battery from the building.

No one was injured.