Naugatuck High students to appear in court after fight


NAUGATUCK — Four Naugatuck High School girls were arrested Dec. 23 for what could be called a catfight — except one of the fighters might have been wearing brass knuckles.

A dispute at school led two of the teens to arrange for a fight in front of a multi-family home at 157 Cherry St., where one of them lives with her 17-year-old sister, said Lt. Robert Harrison. The sisters and their two opponents all started fighting Dec. 23 in the afternoon.

The older sister fought one schoolmate bare-handed, but the younger sister fought another girl who “had on what everyone else is describing as brass knuckles,” Harrison said. The teen in question said she had on a ring that looked like brass knuckles but was not a weapon.

The teen was wearing a shiny gold-colored piece that covered three fingers, Harrison said.

“I’ve got to go to Forever 21, because that’s where she said she got it,” Harrison said.

Police are not releasing the names of the girls involved because all are juveniles.

Before the fight began, the sisters called their mother to tell her what was about to happen, and the mother arrived home while the fight was in progress, Harrison said.

“There’s some reports that mom was actually encouraging the fight just by allowing it to happen,” Harrison said, adding that the mother disputed those statements.

Responding to a call to the home at 4:43 p.m., police brought the teens to the station, took written statements and formally charged them. Police charged the teen wearing the hand piece with breach of peace, second-degree assault and carrying a dangerous weapon. She and the younger sister, who was charged with breach of peace and third-degree assault, were released on a promise to appear Jan. 4 in juvenile court.

Police charged the third juvenile and the older sister with breach of peace and third-degree assault. The juvenile was released on a promise to appear Jan. 7 in juvenile court. The older sister, charged as a youthful offender, was released on a promise to appear Jan. 5 in Waterbury Superior Court.