Laundry in dryer catches fire


Naugatuck fire officials and an official with Eversource stand outside the Spring Street Laundromat at 45 Spring St. in Naugatuck on Monday morning after a fire started in a clothes dryer. –LUKE MARSHALL

NAUGATUCK — A load of laundry in a clothes dryer caught fire at a laundromat on Spring Street Monday morning.

Naugatuck Fire Marshal Robert Weaver said firefighters responded to the Spring Street Laundromat, 45 Spring St., at about 9 a.m.

Weaver said the fire started in one of the dryers. He said someone put items, including pillows, into the dryer that were supposed to be dried on low heat. But, he said, the dryer was set on high.

Weaver said the high temperatures caused the items in the dryer to catch fire. The pillows were made of foam, and the laundromat quickly filled with black smoke, he said. Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze.

Weaver said the fire damaged a couple of the dryers and the wall above the dryer caught fire. There was also heavy smoke damage throughout the building, he said.

Weaver said the laundromat temporarily closed for repairs.

The laundromat is on the first floor of a three-story, mixed-use building with apartments on the two upper floors. No one was injured in the fire, and the apartments were not damaged, Weaver said.