Improvements planned to make intersection safer


NAUGATUCK — An intersection officials consider to be very dangerous is a step closer to some major improvements.

Officials are planning upgrades to the offset, four-way intersection of Rubber Avenue, Hoadley and Melbourne streets. The project includes new sidewalks, new crosswalks, repaving the roads in the area, a painted island with arrows on Rubber Avenue in the intersection to guide drivers, and drainage improvements.

“There are no traffic sensors and no pedestrian walking features. The old signals don’t meet the current requirements,” Public Works Director James Stewart said.

At its Oct. 1 meeting, the Board of Mayor and Burgesses awarded contracts to A.M. Rizzo Electrical Contractors, Inc. of Danbury for $878,022 to do the work, and to BL Companies Connecticut, Inc. of Meriden for up to $143,000 for the engineering and inspection work.

The borough received a state grant to pay for 90% of the project, and the borough is responsible for the remaining 10%. The borough will fund its share through the five-year capital fund, officials said.

Officials are looking to make the intersection safer for drivers and pedestrians. Naugatuck High School is less than half a mile from the intersection, and students frequently walk through the intersection.

Stewart said construction is expected to start next April and finish by July 1.

The project coincides with a larger project to reconstruct Rubber Avenue from Elm Street to Melbourne Street. The reconstruction project, which is slated to start next year, will include drainage improvements, new sidewalks and landscaping along Rubber Avenue, and a new roundabout to replace the four-way intersection of Rubber Avenue and Meadow and Cherry streets.