Horrific details of child’s murder release

0
1286

BY ANDREAS YILMA

REPUBLICAN-AMERICAN

NAUGATUCK — Horrific details emerged Nov. 21 as police reported an arrest warrant had been issued for a man believed to have murdered and dismembered his infant daughter and who remains on the run since the grim discovery Nov. 18.

JIM SHANNON REPUBLICAN-AMERICAN
Naugatuck Police Chief Colin McAllister gives an update on Nov. 21 on the search for 31-year-old Christopher Francisquini who is accused in the killing of his 11-month-old daughter on Nov. 18.

Christopher Francisquini, 31, of Naugatuck, faces charges of murder and risk of injury to a minor for the death of 11-month-old Camilla Francisquini. With that warrant, police for the first time publicly named the slain baby and confirmed the alleged killer is her father.

Police and first responders who arrived at the scene found Camilla’s body dismembered, said Naugatuck Police Chief Colin McAllister said at a news conference Monday morning at the police station.

Out of respect for the infant’s grieving family, police declined to discuss more, or to provide any photos of the infant to put a face as well as a name to the defenseless victim. The state medical examiner’s office determined her cause of death to be neck compressions and stab wounds.

“In the collective law enforcement careers of everybody who’s here as well as those who have investigated, this is definitely one of the most difficult and trying cases that we’ve ever had to investigate,” McAllister said Monday.

Naugatuck police responded shortly after 11:30 a.m. Friday to 150 Millville Ave. after someone police described as a household member discovered the deceased baby and called 911.

Francisquini, 31, one of several people who live at the residence, has been the subject of an ongoing and expanding manhunt since.

Naugatuck police, New Haven police, Waterbury police, state police and the FBI, which is offering a reward of up to $10,000 for information leading to Francisquini’s arrest and conviction, are working together to find him.

“We will continue to do so to ensure that we can bring any resources necessary to bring the crime to closure and this subject to justice,” said FBI Special Agent David Sundberg.

McAllister said Naugatuck police obtained the warrant for Francisquini on Sunday night. There is a $5 million bond on him as well.

Francisquini has an extensive criminal history dating back 10 years, including assault, criminal possession of a firearm, carjacking, robbery and larceny. He was on special parole with an ankle monitor when his daughter was murdered, McAllister said.

Investigators determined he cut the monitor off in Waterbury, after the girl was dead.

Before the 911 call Friday morning, Francisquini and the baby’s mother had been involved in a dispute in Waterbury, although the mother wasn’t injured, police said. Francisquini also destroyed his cellphone, along with the GPS monitor, after that fight.

Police said they believe he killed his daughter before the dispute, and her mother did not know her baby had been killed. The mother returned home, and the 911 call was made.

McAllister declined to say who discovered the baby’s body.

McAllister said the suspect, a 6-foot, 230-pound Hispanic male, is considered armed and dangerous. He cautioned the public against approaching him.

“If anyone out there is providing aid, assisting or helping to hide Francisquini, you yourself are not safe. This suspect has shown a predisposition to violence and … a violent, violent homicidal act,” McAllister said. “We need you to contact law enforcement immediately if you have any information on Francisquini’s whereabouts. You are not safe.”

McAllister said Francisquini was driving a gray 2006 Chevy Impala that belonged to a family member. The vehicle was found abandoned on Interstate 91 in the area of Exit 8 in New Haven on Friday evening. Police located the car based on information provided by a tipster.

At the same time, detectives from Naugatuck police and the state police’s Major Crime Squad worked at the crime scene through Friday night and into Saturday morning.

Surveillance photos have shown Francisquini on Quinnipiac Avenue in New Haven about 4 p.m. Friday. The suspect had some contact with members of the public in New Haven, according to police.

McAllister said his message to Francisquini is to turn himself in to police immediately.

“We will not rest until we take you into custody. We will be putting forward every effort to locate and apprehend this suspect and bring him to justice,” McAllister said. “This is an unconscionable act. It is a heinous crime.”

“The death of anyone is tragic, but in these circumstances this is something that affects Naugatuck as a community as a whole. I believe sincerely that our community is grieving with that family,” McAllister said. “Naugatuck has felt this loss across all sections of our community, and our detectives, our investigators, all of Naugatuck’s first responders have been deeply affected by this horrific and heinous crime. This is something that we will not rest until Francisquini is brought to justice.”