NAUGATUCK — A gas leak that shut down a portion of Rubber Avenue Tuesday stemmed from a leaking valve.
A gas leak near the Elks Club was reported at 8 a.m. High gas levels were found in the storm sewers and gas could be smelled from 200 feet away, Fire Chief Ken Hanks said. No buildings had to be evacuated, he said.
The leak shut down Rubber Avenue between Neumann Street and Woodruff Avenue for several hours Tuesday as Yankee Gas workers fixed the problem.
According to Mitch Gross, a spokesman for Yankee Gas, the problem was caused by a leaking gas valve outside of the Elks Lodge. Gross said that Yankee Gas was able to fix the problem.
The road reopened late Tuesday night.