Flash fire injures man

0
21

NAUGATUCK — A flash fire likely caused by propane residue under a grill sent a man to the hospital with burn injuries Saturday afternoon, a fire official said.

Firefighters responded to 69 Alison Ave. just before 4:50 p.m. for the report of a propane explosion. When they arrived, the fire was out.

It appears the resident was changing propane tanks on his grill when residual fire from the grill ignited propane residue, Fire Capt. John DeBisschop said.

“Once it was ignited, it flashed quickly and extinguished itself once it expended the available propane,” he said.

The man was treated by Naugatuck Ambulance and was transported to a local hospital, with the expectation of being transferred to Bridgeport Hospital Burn Center. The man experienced first-degree burns to his head and neck, and second-degree burns to his forearms, DeBisschop said.