PROSPECT — A fire engulfed a Service Master van at the company’s Waterbury Road location Friday afternoon.
The fire was called in shortly after 3 p.m., Fire Marshal Keith Griffin said. It took about 35 minutes for firefighters to douse the fire, he said, because magnesium in the van was burning.
Griffin said the fire was electrical in nature and started in the engine compartment. The fire was accidental, he said. The van was a total loss, he said.
Griffin said the van was a spare one and hadn’t been moved since March. He said the company starts the van every two or three weeks. A worker returning to the 50 Waterbury Road site from a job Friday noticed the fire.
Griffin said two other cars, which are owned by workers, were also damaged. He said the cars were parked about 2 or 3 feet in front of the van and minor damage was done to the rear ends of the cars.