Father, son facing charges after incident on Lewis Street


NAUGATUCK — A father and son were arrested Sunday on charges of burglarizing an acquaintance’s trailer, assaulting and threatening the man.

Joseph Payne, 54, and his son Thomas, 21, both of 26 Elmhurst St., entered the 27-year-old man victim’s trailer in the mobile home park on Lewis Street house on the evening of July 1, police said.

According to Naugatuck Police Department spokesman Lt. Robert Harrison, the Paynes said they were confronting the victim because they believe he broke into their house earlier in the day.

The victim, who is an acquaintance of the Paynes, told police he had permission to be in the Paynes’ house, Harrison said.

Harrison said the man reported Joseph Payne grabbed a wooden post and started beating him. According to the police report, the victim sustained a swelling and laceration to the left side of his face. Harrison said the victim refused treatment.

“At some point in time a knife became exposed and [Joseph] Payne grabbed the knife and threatened him,” Harrison said.

The blade was described to police as a “san duku” knife, Harrison said. A santoku knife is a large multi-purpose kitchen knife.

Harrison said the Paynes reported it didn’t happen exactly like that. The Paynes told police the man attacked them with the wooden post and they took it from him in a struggle, he said. Afterwards, Harrison said, the Paynes reported their acquaintance pulled a knife on them, and they took that away as well.

The Paynes left the victim’s residence with the knife, Harrison said.

Police responded to scene around 8:30 p.m. and later arrested the Paynes.

Thomas Payne was charged with breach of peace and burglary in the first degree. Joseph Payne was charged with breach of peace, assault in the second degree, burglary in the first degree, larceny in the third degree, and threatening.

The owner of the trailer was not charged.

Joseph Payne was released on a $2,500 surety bond. Thomas Payne was released on a $1,000 surety bond. Both men were given a court date of July 11 to appear at Waterbury Superior Court.