Explosion reported in Naugatuck

0
21

Workers from Connecticut Light and Power inspect a transformer under Church Street Thursday morning after reports of an explosion and smoke pouring out of the grate.

NAUGATUCK — A transformer fire in front of 92 Church St. temporarily closed Church Street near Rubber Avenue this morning.

The fire department responded to a call of an underground explosion and discovered the fire about 9 a.m. Thursday. Firefighters could hear electrical sparking from the transformer under the road and smoke was coming out of the grate, according to Fire Chief Ken Hanks. Local businesses were evacuated.

Smoke could not longer be seen coming from the grate as of 10:30 a.m. when police opened up the road.

As of this post, the underground crew from Connecticut Light and Power was still inspecting the transformer.