Electrical issue causes brief power outage, small fire


NAUGATUCK — An electrical problem caused a brief power outage for homes and businesses along New Haven Road Monday afternoon.

Naugatuck Fire Department Capt. John Debisschop said an electrical problem on a utility pole on New Haven Road near Hazel Avenue caused the grounding wire to carry more voltage than it was designed to handle. He said the overloaded wire began charring the bottom of the utility pole.

“Once that started charring it caught the dry leaves and grass around it and started a small ground fire,” Debisschop said.

The issue caused temporary power outages at about 3:15 p.m. Eversource Energy listed no power outages in Naugatuck as of 4 p.m.