Dog rescued, woman escapes from Naugatuck condo fire

0
11

NAUGATUCK — Firefighters rescued a dog from a fire earlier today in a Mallane Lane condo. A guest at the condo, who noticed the fire, escaped with minor injuries.

The fire began on a desk area in a second-floor bedroom of unit F, building 14 at 111 Mallane Lane. The guest, a 29-year-old woman, noticed the fire and called 911, Acting Deputy Fire Marshal William P. Scanlon said.

Firefighters responded to the call at 2:20 a.m. and rescued a shitzu dog that was hiding under the bed, Second Assistant Fire Chief Paul Russell said. They put out the fire with a hose line. The condo’s owner was not home at the time of the fire.

The guest, whose name has not been released pending family notification, suffered smoke inhalation and some minor burns, fire officials said. She and the dog were both given oxygen at the scene. The woman was taken to St. Mary’s Hospital and the dog was taken to Cheshire Veterinary Hospital.

The fire began accidentally, Acting Fire Marshal Robert Weaver said.

“We’re looking at possibly a candle being knocked over,” Weaver said.

The bedroom was damaged by flames and the second floor of the building sustained heavy soot damage. Both floors of the condo were damaged by smoke.

Special to the Citizen’s News