Creosote backup blamed for chimney fire



NAUGATUCK — The Naugatuck Fire Department responded to a chimney fire at a house at 24 Bird Road around 5:30 p.m. Sunday.

The fire ignited in a prefabricated metal chimney. It was caused by creosote backup, firefighters said.

Firefighters knocked down the flames, which were contained to the outside of the house, within minutes. The chimney was the only part of the home that was damaged and nobody was injured.

The fire department also responded to four homes where pipes had burst from the cold temperatures, and a crew from Beacon Falls responded to Big Y World Class Market on Bridge Street after a pipe leaked in the pharmacy, causing minor damage Sunday night, firefighters said. The Beacon Falls crew responded because Naugatuck firefighters were on simultaneous calls at the Bird Road house and a call for minor electrical malfunction on New Haven Road.