Borough man charged in fiery-ending police chase

Police block Route 10 in Southington a quarter of a mile away from where a car hit a gasoline truck and the tanker caught fire Tuesday. The accident was the culmination of a police chase in a stolen car driven by Brian Miele of Naugatuck, police reported. RA ARCHIVE

SOUTHINGTON — A Naugatuck man has been charged with leading police on a chase that started in Waterbury and ended in a fiery crash in Southington.

Brian Miele, 43 of 9 Bradley St., Naugatuck, was arrested yesterday after police said he led them on a wild chase in a stolen car.

The incident began Tuesday when state police received a report of a stolen car in Woodbury. According to a press release, the car was spotted a short time later in the east end of Waterbury by a state trooper. The trooper attempted to pull the car over, but the driver, later identified as Miele, didn’t comply. A brief pursuit ensued, but it was called off due to hazardous conditions, the release said.

At about 3:30 p.m. Tuesday the stolen car was spotted by another trooper in Southington, by the Southington Truck Stop. Miele once again fled when police tried to pull him over, according to a release.

Miele then led police on a chase in Southington from Route 322 to Route 10, the release stated. The chase ended on Route 10 when Miele lost control of the car and crashed into a gasoline tanker tractor trailer. The crash ignited a fire and caused the evacuation of the surrounding area for a quarter mile.

After crashing and before the tanker caught fire, the release said, Miele got out of the car and fled on foot. He was apprehended after a short foot chase and treated for minor injuries at St. Mary’s Hospital in Waterbury.

He was arrested and processed at Troop A in Southbury on charges of driving with a refused, suspended, or revoked license; reckless driving; disobeying the signal of an officer; operating under the influence of drugs or alcohol; first-degree larceny, and interfering with an officer.

He was held on a $25,000 bond and scheduled to appear today in Waterbury Superior Court.