Borough firefighters stop carbon monoxide leak from generator

0
5

NAUGATUCK – Firefighters dispelled a carbon monoxide leak Monday evening on Birch Lane where a generator was running up against a house.

A carbon monoxide detector in the house went off and firefighters found the concentration of the gas in the air was 120 parts per million, well over the level considered to be hazardous, Fire Chief Ken Hanks said.

The occupants, a man and woman, had called the fire department two weeks earlier to report their carbon monoxide detector was malfunctioning, and firefighters changed the battery for them, Hanks said. The couple Monday refused medical treatment after firefighters ventilated the house and moved the generator away, Hanks said. “They were lucky,” Hanks said. “Be careful and don’t leave your generators too close to the house.”