Borough family displaced after fire

0
9

NAUGATUCK — A family was displaced but escaped uninjured from a Sunday morning house fire on Candee Road, an older street with no fire hydrants.

Firefighters were called to 200 Candee Road shortly after 8 a.m. to battle the fire, which started in a bedroom in the walkout basement of the raised ranch house, Fire Chief Ken Hanks said. The fire spread through a sliding glass door onto a deck above, Hanks said. Flames would have easily spread to the rest of the house if the bedroom door had not been closed, a basic fire safety tip, Hanks said.

A 9-year-old child was staying in the house with grandparents and an uncle, Hanks said. None were injured, but they cannot stay in the house until smoke and fire damage is repaired.