Blow torch causes minor fire at Chemtura building

0
5

NAUGATUCK – Smoke poured out of an Elm Street building under renovation Tuesday when contractors using a blow torch to remove caulking around a window caught the wood behind the window on fire.

The building at 400 Elm St., owned by the Chemtura chemical company, sustained only minor damage thanks to the efforts of Naugatuck firefighters, who responded to a call from workers around 11 a.m.

“It should not affect their renovation project at all,” said Fire Chief Ken Hanks.

The firefighters had to take out the window where the fire started to put out flames burning within the wall. They took out a second window, which was bolted shut to feed the hose through.

“It had potential to be a lot worse,” Hanks said.

Hanks said no one was injured.

Once the renovations are complete, Chemtura plans to bring about 70 of their employees from their Middlebury office to the Naugatuck site.