Applications available for elderly homeowners, freeze programs


NAUGATUCK — The Assessor’s Office is currently accepting applications for the Elderly Homeowners Program through May 15.

To qualify, the applicant or spouse must have reached the age of 65 before the end of 2010. Their income must not have exceeded $32,300 for a single person or $39,500 for married couple. This income amount must include social security paid during 2010.

Permanently and totally disabled individuals are eligible to receive benefits under the homeowners program regardless of age, provided all other criteria are met. If filing because of a disability, please bring the original notice of award letter from the Social Security Administration and the SSA1099 form from the social security department is needed as proof. Applications will not be accepted without this proof.

Examples of proof of 2010 income must be presented at time of application. Examples of proof of income include federal income tax return and social security year end statement for 2010 if an income tax return was filed; W2 forms, pension year end statement, interest income, any other income (rental, etc.) and year end social security statement if an income tax return wasn’t filed. Other information needed is date of birth, social security number and telephone number.

Additionally, the Board of Mayor and Burgesses had approved a local freeze option effective July 1, 2007. The program will continue again this year. To be eligible, the homeowner or spouse must be of age 70 or older and have lived in the state at least one year.

The income limits for the 2010 filing are $32,300 for a single person or $39,500 for married couple with a $125,000 asset limitation excluding his or her primary residence in the Borough of Naugatuck. Please bring 2010 proof of income information and account information of checking, savings, credit union balances, stocks, bonds, certificate of deposit and second residence information to the Assessor’s Office to file the required application.

If applicant is unable to appear, they may send an agent to file on their behalf. Any questions may be directed to the Assessor’s Office at (203) 720-7016.