Another anthrax scare in borough


NAUGATUCK — Emergency crews responded to another anthrax scare Wednesday at the police department’s 211 Spring St. headquarters.

A second-floor tenant of 123 Cherry St. brought an envelope she received with white powder to the police department, causing police to block off the parking lot at about 6:30 p.m. while the fire department and a state biotechnology team responded, authorities said.

Preliminary tests determined the powder was not toxic or hazardous, but state biohazard troopers submitted it to the Department of Public Health for further testing, said Lt. J. Paul Vance, state police spokesman.

The same woman received an envelope with white powder in it last month, prompting her building, including Mario’s Pizzeria on the ground floor, to close for more than a day. The state determined a week later that the powder was table salt.