House fire started from wood stove

Flames engulf the house at 25 Greenwood Drive in Prospect on March 19. -CONTRIBUTED BY ED MALASPINA

PROSPECT — A house fire in March on Greenwood Drive that killed two pets started when combustible items next to a wood stove caught fire.

Fire Marshal Tony Muniz said the March 19 fire at 25 Greenwood Drive has been ruled an accident. He said a freestanding wood stove in a room in the rear left corner of the home heated up to the point where it caught curtains and a nearby pile of firewood on fire.

According to Muniz, the residents of the home put logs in the wood stove before leaving the house.

The fire spread from the area of the wood stove. A neighbor reported the fire at about 9 p.m., and the fire spread through at least half the house before the firefighters arrived on the scene.

No one was at home at the time, Muniz said. Although no one was injured, two pets were killed in the fire, he said.

The house sustained significant fire, water and smoke damage. The home is owned by Rosa S. and Antonio Ramalhete, according to the property card.