Electrical issue leads to early dismissal for Woodland


BEACON FALLS — Woodland Regional High School students were evacuated and dismissed early on Monday following an electrical issue at the school.

A small transformer in an electrical room short-circuited, said Beacon Hose Company No. 1 Fire Chief Brian DeGeorge, who is also the town’s fire marshal. He said firefighters responded to the school at about 11:30 a.m.

DeGeorge said there wasn’t a fire, but smoke from the malfunctioning transformer had spread into the hallway near the weight room and locker rooms of the school. Firefighters spent about an hour checking the school to ensure the problem was contained, he said.

The issue left some parts of the building without power. Students were evacuated and eventually released early. Outdoor activities after school continued as normal.