Gas leak causes temporary evacuationSingle Classified

NAUGATUCK — Firefighters shut down part of Water Street and evacuated two homes and two businesses due to a relief valve break on a residential gas line early Saturday.

At 9:01 a.m., authorities responded to 244 Water St. and found a gas leak outside the home. Firefighters evacuated the area and closed Water Street from Cedar Street to North Church Street.

Firefighters remained on scene for about an hour and a half, while Connecticut Light & Power Co. turned off the electricity and Yankee Gas fixed the leak.

“There’s always a risk, so we take precautions,” Capt. Michael Chatfield said.

Residents were allowed to return to their homes when Yankee Gas determined gas levels were safe. There were no injuries.

Beacon Falls and Prospect fire department provided mutual aid.