Area towns in line for federal aid for storm clean up

Federal aid is available to reimburse towns for money spent cleaning up the mess left by Winter Storm Benedict.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced last week that federal disaster aid was made available to Connecticut to supplement local money spent during the snow storm that pounded the state with more than two feet of snow from Jan. 11 to Jan. 12.

Normally, towns are eligible to apply for reimbursement of costs spent during a continuous 48-hour period. The federal declaration last week stated that assistance will be provided for a 72-hour period for New Haven County.

Naugatuck Mayor Bob Mezzo said the town was not aware of the 72-hour period ruling until the announcement was made and had only planned for the 48-hour period. He said the borough spent a little more than $95,000 over the two-day period and, as of press time, was still calculating for the additional day’s expenses for reimbursement.

Towns will be eligible for no less than 75 percent reimbursement.

Mezzo felt good about Naugatuck’s chances of receiving aid.

“At this point it does look good given the presidential declaration,” Mezzo said.

Beacon Falls First Selectman Susan Cable said the town has already applied for reimbursement and the town anticipates receiving about $37,000 in aid.

Prospect Mayor Bob Chatfield said the town will apply for about $60,000 in aid.