Tag Archives: fire department

SLIDE_Firehouse

Morning commute slowed due to car fire

NAUGATUCK — A car fire backed up the morning commute Thursday on Route 8 North. The fire briefly shut down the highway near exit 26. Fire Captain John Debisschop said…

SLIDE_Firehouse

Fire chief requests third inspector

NAUGATUCK — The Naugatuck fire marshal’s office is currently behind by more than two years on inspections of multifamily buildings, businesses and municipal properties. In an effort to curb that…

SLIDE_New-Firefighters

New firefighters join borough department

NAUGATUCK — Three firefighters who fell in love with the profession at a young age have attained their dream of working in a career fire department. Michael Ames, 39, Patrick…

SLIDE_Firehouse

Department seeks top dollar for fire truck

NAUGATUCK — The Naugatuck Fire Department is hoping to get as much money as possible when it sells its 1992 Boardman fire truck. The Board of Mayor and Burgesses voted…

SLIDE_Firehouse

Department names contest winners

NAUGATUCK — The Naugatuck Fire Department has announced the winners of Naugatuck’s 9th annual Connecticut Fire Prevention Poster Contest. Mireya Trelles from Maple Hill School won first place for fourth…

SLIDE_Firehouse

Borough transfers funds for firefighters

NAUGATUCK — After voting not to hire firefighters to replace retirees during the municipal budget process in the spring, officials relented last week. On Dec. 9, the Joint Boards of…

SLIDE_Firehouse

Fire department collecting toys

NAUGATUCK — The Naugatuck Fire Department is collecting gifts for Toys for Kids. The department will begin accepting donations Dec. 1. Donations can be dropped off at the firehouse on…

SLIDE_FDMustache

Fundraising with facial hair

NAUGATUCK — The firefighter and the mustache have a long and storied history. Like the lumberjack and the long beard or the surfer and the long locks, the mustache on…

SLIDE_Firehouse

Gas leak causes temporary evacuation

NAUGATUCK — Firefighters shut down part of Water Street and evacuated two homes and two businesses due to a relief valve break on a residential gas line early Saturday. At…

FEAT_GreaseFire

Fire chief advises residents on grease fires

NAUGATUCK — A kitchen grease fire at the George B. Lewis No. 1 senior housing complex on Osborn Road Wednesday was the third such fire in a month and the…