NAUGATUCK – Naugatuck High School will be closed Friday due to a noxious and distracting odor.
School officials closed the high school at 1 p.m., about an hour early, Thursday due to the mysterious odor.
The cause of the smell, which officials initially thought was methane gas, could not be determined as of early Thursday evening, said Sharon Locke, Naugatuck’s superintendent of schools.
“Out of extreme precaution, we decided to send the students home early,” she said.
Officials are closing the school Friday as a precautionary measure, as well.
The Naugatuck Fire Department responded at 1:30 p.m. and again at 3:30 p.m. Thursday to take readings. They found no hazardous gases in the air, Locke said.
School officials had sewer lines and grease traps cleaned in hopes that will stop the smell, although officials could not determine that is where the smell was emanating from, she said.