Gas leak causes temporary evacuation

NAUGATUCK — Three homes were evacuated after a punctured gas line caused high gas readings in their homes Tuesday morning.

The Naugatuck Fire Department responded to the intersection of Culver Street and Homestead Avenue at 10:44 a.m. after an Eversource employee working on a gas line in the area accidentally punctured a gas line, firefighters said.

The homes at 62 Homestead Ave., and 44 and 50 Culver St. were evacuated temporarily while the houses were ventilated and the gas leak was fixed. Firefighters and Eversource employees took gas readings in surrounding homes but did not have any that were higher than normal.

No injuries were reported.

Be Sociable, Share!