Faulty pump blamed for odor at NHS

NAUGATUCK — A noxious odor at Naugatuck High School that prompted an early dismissal yesterday and canceled school today has been determined to have been caused by sewage pump failures in the kitchen, officials said.

Assistant Superintendent of Schools Chris Montini said two sewage pumps connected to grease traps in the kitchen had failed and are being replaced.

The Naugatuck Fire Department responded to the school twice Thursday afternoon to take readings. They found no hazardous gases in the air, officials said.

Once the pumps are replaced, Montini said, a determination will be made as to whether the school will be open to students on Monday.

Be Sociable, Share!