Borough church celebrates 111th anniversary
NAUGATUCK — The Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church is celebrating its 111th anniversary.
Around the turn of the last century a small group of German immigrants began holding services in their native language in the German Men’s Chorus Hall located on School Street in the Union City section of town. On July 3, 1901, they were incorporated into the German Evangelical Lutheran Immanuel Church. Within a few years members of this fledgling congregation built what is their current building on Coen Street in Naugatuck, and it was dedicated in July of 1903. In the 1920s the services began to be held in the English language, and in 1948 the church’s name was changed to its current name of Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Currently, Immanuel and Salem Lutheran Church of Naugatuck are sharing a two-point ministry with Pastor Lena Warren. The two congregations will hold a joint service on July 8 at 9:30 a.m. at the church on Coen Street followed by a coffee hour to celebrate the anniversary.